Saturday, November 21, 2009

Inbox: Thanksgiving dinner

Sender: Marsha Blatt
To: Brook Haupenstaat

Subject: Thanksgiving dinner

Dear Brook,


We’ve never met before, but I’m Ira’s Mom Marsha. Ira doesn’t know that I’m writing to you, but I saw your email address on a list when he sent out the email this summer to me and to all of his friends about taking the trip to San Francisco.


Like I said, Ira doesn’t know that I’m writing you. He had mentioned to me that you don’t have any plans for Thanksgiving, and your family is all going to be out of town. Nobody should be alone on Thanksgiving, so I’m inviting you down. We live in Dearfield Illinois, just north of Chicago. It’s not too far a drive from Minneapolis, and if you keep as busy as Ira it might be nice to get out of the city for a couple days. Ira’s driving down on Thursday morning and going back up on Saturday, so you could ride with him.


Ira said he didn’t want to invite you because he didn’t want you to feel obligated to come if you didn’t want to, but I’m sure you’ll say yes or no depending on how you feel. I know that Ira wouldn’t mind if you come—he’s always mentioning you when he calls, and I know that the two of you are good friends.


There’s always too much turkey, and we’ve got a guest room with your name on it. I won’t pressure you, but since it is just five days away I’m sure you’ll decide pretty quick just to know what your own plans are. I hope you can make it.


Marsha Blatt



(Keeping everybody informed...)